Sunday, July 13

The Ducks and Baseball

Last night, we headed downtown to catch a baseball game. On the way we dropped into the Peabody for the March of the Ducks.
.......
Everyday at 11:00, since 1933,
5 ducks are marched from their duck palace on the roof,
down the elevator, across the red carpet, and
into the fountain in the Peabody lobby.
This is where they stay until 5:00
when the Duck Master comes to get them,
marches them down the red carpet, into the elevator,
and back to the roof.
......

........

There was lots of Pomp & Circumstance and LOTs of people. When we arrived in the lobby about 4:30 the fountain and red carpet were already surrounded. The first floor balcony was lined with people. I guess that is what you get when you come to watch the ducks in the middle of tourist season (we should be tourist in our area in off-peak times). Carly was able to squeeze through to sit under the rope along the red carpet with other children. I worked my way to a small corner so I could see her and maybe catch a glimpse of the ducks. Kenny went to the piano bar.
........
But yes we did see the ducks climb out of the water, go down the steps, waddle across the red carpet, and load up in the elevator.
.........
Then there was baseball.
......

We have been to several games over the years, but have not made one this year. It is a beautiful stadium in the heart of downtown Memphis and a good environment for kids.

........

.......

There was sweating (97 in the shade),

watching ball (Carly was more interested in the game),

people watching (wow at the tattoos.), and

eating (ever had BBQ nachos - probably only in Memphis).

........

.......

It was a great family night out. Kenny and I decided we should do it again, but maybe when it cools off a little?

7 comments:

Doodle Bugs said...

Yall are being tourist this week!

Had Carly ever seen the ducks? I have seen them once and when I was there- NOBODY was there watching them and I thought "what is the big deal"? I could not believe they made such a fuss over it and nobody even cared. Obviously I was there in the off-season. From what I remember there was like 3-4 people watching.

I also just noticed that you put my button on your blog :o) It shows up good on your black background! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe next time, when it is cooler, G'daddy and I can come up for a game. Right now G'daddy has all the heat he wants on the farm. We haven't seen the ducks! Love to all. Mama

Unknown said...

i've only been to memphis once (did you know Hampton Inn HQ is there?!?) i had a lovely stay at the Hampton Inn Peabody Place, and i remember hearing about the ducks (although we never made it there.)

Anonymous said...

WONDER IF KENNY THOUGHT ABOUT HIS BASEBALL PLAYING DAYS WHEN HE WAS THERE. I REMEMBER HIM TELLING ME ABOUT THE FIRST TIME HE WATCHED THE DAWGS PLAY AT MSU IN HIS FRESHMAN YEAR.
COCKTAILS ARE GOOD AT THE PEABODY. THEY SAY THE "DELTA" STARTS IN THE LOBBY OF THE PEABODY. IF YOU SIT THERE LONG ENOUGH, YOU'LL SEE PEOPLE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IN YEARS.
GREAT TO HEAR ABOUT BEING A TOURIST IN YOUR AREA.
M-I-L

Laurie said...

Ever since I first heard about the ducks at the Peabody a few years ago I have WANTED to go see them do their march! I was so excited to see that's what this post was about!!

I love baseball games in the summertime. Maybe not when it's so hot, but it's pure summer!

Natasha said...

Oh my, BBQ nachos!!

Keetha said...

Le sigh. How I love Memphis. The Peabody and those ducks are so neat.