Friday, September 5

august reads

  • Reckless Abandon by Stuart Woods
I like books in a series. Each time you read one you feel like you get to know the characters a little better. Obviously, it is best to read them in order which is what I typically do. But, I picked up a Stuart Woods' book a couple of months ago and now have read a couple more. This one comes 'before' the others specifically Iron Orchid. Holly comes to NY on a manhunt for a multi-murder "hidden" away by the FBI in the witness protection program. She enlist the whole list of characters to help including Stone, Dino, and Lance.
.....
......
  • One Mississippi by Mark Childress
I thought this book was depressingly sad. Really, I felt sad for everyone in the book. They all had problems. Pretty much they were all dysfunctional. Critics quoted on the book covered said it was "humorous". Hmmmm, maybe in a black comedy kind of way? It was an interesting read - in a "can't look away from the train wreck" kind of way. t. I was sure with each chapter I started that something else was going to happen to the characters. And, I was right.
......

  • Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman
Alex Delaware and his buddy Detective Milo Sturgis are the main characters in this crime novel. I've read several in this series but when I went to find a picture, I discovered there were lots of them (22?). They are good characters that are generally trying to find out "who dun' it?" This time they are interested in a group of murders without apparent motive and connected only by a suspect with multiple "looks". Oh, and a side story about Robin (Alex's girlfriend) making a mandolin for a wealthy .com entrepreneur. I think Robin would make for an interesting lead character. Hmmm
......
.....
  • Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Nope, I don't think I had ever read it? Not sure why. Probably because it was written in 1908 and took place on Prince Edward Island? But I'm glad I decided to. It was a wonderful story with brilliant characters. I think I might have to read the sequels. Or, maybe re-read this one with Carly and then read the sequels together? I think Carly would like Anne too. She was feisty and full of life. "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it?" Anne

9 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it?" Anne--One of my favorite lines ever, Kim Sue.

Amy said...

Anne of Green Gables was my workout movie last week. I was just thinking that it might be time for a reread! I am so jealous that you just got to read it for the first time!

Melinda said...

I love Anne of Green Gables. An all time favorite.

Rhonda said...

I just started A Thousand Splendid Suns which is a little more uplifting than The Kite Runner...the first by Hosseini.

Want to thank you for the great note I just opened. It had been sitting in our post office all this time...they forgot to put it in my "box" while my mail was held.

I will also e-mail ya.

Rhonda said...

I just started A Thousand Splendid Suns which is a little more uplifting than The Kite Runner...the first by Hosseini.

Want to thank you for the great note I just opened. It had been sitting in our post office all this time...they forgot to put it in my "box" while my mail was held.

I will also e-mail ya.

Rhonda said...

oops....

Bren's Life said...

Thanks for the info! I know what's coming up next weekend!!! Any plans & hold old will ya be.. Please say your older then me... :) I'm turning 26 (wish) & I know your younger then that...

Keetha said...

I haven't read that One Mississippi book for just the reasons you described - it sounded to me terribly, terribly sad. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that!

Oh! Anne of Green Gables is one of my all time favorites!

Doodle Bugs said...

I have never read Anne of Gren Gables either.. wonder why we skipped that growing up?

I did not read one single book in August..