Sunday, September 7

germantown festival

Nothing says "Fall is coming" like the Germantown Festival.
It is held each year the weekend after Labor Day.
......
There are booths after booths of handmade wares such as pottery, jewelry, clothes, candles, dried flowers, paintings, food products.
......
Celeste (MIL) and Doug have a booth
selling their handmade wooden spoons.
It's called 'Sis & D Spoons'.
......

It gives us the opportunity to see Celeste and Doug. We stop by and visit and wander around to shop a little. The weather was gorgeous (hinting of the coming fall) and the crowds were large. Each time we came by the booth there were lots of customers.

Beside 'Sis & D Spoons' was a lady selling the most amazing clay art. She was sitting in front of her booth making small pieces and giving them away. Carly was mesmerized. She spent a lot of time watching. The lady made Carly a orange morning-glory. You can see the flower in the picture. Then she added a leaf with a tiny inch worm on it. We carried it around all day. She put it in a tiny vase for her room. It is hard to tell in the picture but on the front of her little table are tiny clay animals (roosters, monkeys, turtles, frogs, pigs, birds) which had such amazing details.

.....

......

Behind 'Sis & D' spoons was a children's clothing booth. It had the cutest clothes. Hanging beside the booth was this super cute green gingham dress with smocked pumpkins...CUTE! I tried several times to talk Carly into it. Nope. When she saw me go over and look at the price tag, she said "mom you promised, no more scrunchy dresses". A couple of weeks ago, when I made her put one on for church, I promised when she outgrew the couple that were in the closet that I would not buy anymore. She held me to it. I couldn't even talk her into it as MY birthday present. Nope. So, all I got was a picture of the super cute pumpkin dress.

......

We had a great day. I bought a Christmas present. We ate fair food. We ran into people we knew and enjoyed a beautiful day out and about.

......

......

AND,

Kenny & Carly got my birthday present.

Shhhh.....I'll save more about that for later!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like a wonderful day. i LOVE festivals that feature handmade art - i have such respect for people who make a living (or part of their living) from selling handmade items.

that table full of wooden spoons looks INCREDIBLE!!

Unknown said...

Those spoons are amazing!

I'm excited to hear what your birthday present might be....

patsy said...

wow those wooden spoons are awesome! you have a talented family. I love those kinds of fairs etc.

I am so sad my girls won't be wearing scrunchy dresses anymore either... I saw a pretty little dress a while back & asked chloe if she would wear it... she said she would but I could tell- she wouldn't. DARN IT why do they have to grow up so fast!!!

Mandy said...

Is this Germantown as in Memphis? I have family there, I'll have to check it out next year...it looks like great fun!! :)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Those spoons make an beautiful display. I can see why people are drawn to their booth.

I love Oktoberfests and German Festivals. Your day sounds perfectly wonderful.

Carly's comment on no more scrunchy dresses made me smile. She's so cute, it would be fun to dress her till she's 30.

Michelle Alley said...

That photo of the spoons is so cool! I love the dresses and it sounds like you had such a great time. It is sad when they start outgrowing the cute ruffled dressed!

MaryRC said...

I am so jealous of your weather. No hint of summer ending here. Oh wait, I suppose its in the lower 100s these days. I concur with the spoon awe! And I totally relate to the dress situation too. My daughter has decided she is too old for "that style" as well.. :( boo hoo for us..

Shar said...

That looks so fun! And I bet the food was awesome!

I have bad memories of wooden spoons, because my mom always spanked us with them!

Amy said...

How fun! I wish there was something like that around here? Does anyone know of a fair like that in Utah at this time of year?

I just love those smocked dresses. I wanted to buy one for Kaitlin when we were in Tennessee this summer, but didn't. What was I thinking?!

Keetha said...

Sounds like quite the milestone ... no more smocked dresses. :-)

Looks like great fun!

Lene said...

I love wandering through festival with homemade crafts.

That table full of spoon is amazing!

Cecilia said...

I love the wooden spoons!
The last picture of you and Carly is PRECIOUS!

Anonymous said...

What a fun day. I love those dresses. I wish I could pull something like that off. They look so comfy and cozy

Doodle Bugs said...

Oh well. .. she let you dress her in smocked dresses way longer than most little girls wear them.

Can't wait to see your birthday present!

Natasha said...

Cool spoons.
I will be sad when Luci refuses smocking too. I see it in the near future.

Bren's Life said...

What a fun thing. I love to go to things like that... Love your pictures

sweetfunkyvintage said...

Oh no! There will be a day in my future when the girls refuse to wear "scrunchy" dresses. How sad!
I love them!!!
:)
missy