Saturday, November 22

thanksgiving - round 1

  • I love Thanksgiving week. Mostly I love it because it is a minimalist week full of family. For years we have taken the week from the Friday before Thanksgiving until the weekend after Thanksgiving to spend time with family, eat, hang out, visit, and in general just enjoy each other. Some years the "girls" have taken off for a little outing while the "guys" do what they love best about the season which is to hunt.

  • We left yesterday to head to the "Lake House" to spend a long weekend with Kenny's side of the family - Celeste, Doug, Beege, Libba, JC are all here. We had a fabulous dinner last night of roasted pork loin, butternut squash risotto, apple-cranberry-spinach salad, and green bean casserole. Yum! We hung out into the night drinking red wine and enjoying a roaring fire.

  • Today the hunters left in the freezing dark while I snuggled deeper into the quilt covered bed. The sun woke me as it shone brightly into the window, and I had the lazy morning to pick up my book and enjoy the quietness.

  • The hunters returned without any bounty, in time for us to eat a big breakfast. Doug made his famous biscuits while Celeste took care of everything else - bacon, sausage, egg, cheese grits. And Beege started the party with fabulous bloody marys with spicy pickled okra and asparagus. And as usual before we could finish one divine meal we were planning the next which led to discussions about Christmas meals.

  • And now, as I am sitting in my pajamas in front of another roaring fire and listening to a room full of others taking a mid morning nap, I am thinking I might need to change into real clothes and get ready for football. It was decided that only in the South is there a food and drink menu for an afternoon of football.

14 comments:

Linda said...

Thanksgiving Round 1 already sounds divine...what more could Round 2 offer!?!

Have a great long weekend with family!

Mandy said...

That sounds HEAVENLY!!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving week! :)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh wow...what fun to spend the time with family and friends....and to sleep in to boot.

I love Thanksgiving, too. It's got all the food and family without the pressure and hassle.

Rhonda said...

Enjoy. This is my favorite holiday, but we are putting it off as three of my kids are now out west. They will all be here for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

It sounds more than fabulous! Enjoy this week, as you deserve it.

Natasha said...

Yum! Nothing like thanksgiving food in the south!

Amy said...

Oooh...I'm loving the picture, the feeling your words painted. So great that you guys truly get away to spend time with family and enjoy relaxing.

JD said...

Kim Sue,
I have been wanting to leave a comment for some time. I enjoy your blog a lot. Carly and my daughter Savell played a couple of times several years ago. Your mom brought her over to my house to swim. They played really well together. I let Savell see the pictures of Carly on here. She has grown up so much and is so beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving... just wanted to say hello.

Robyn said...

Sounds like a great, relaxing holiday. Stay in those jammies, that's what I say!

Where's the recipe for butternut risotto? Sounds delicious! So does the rest, actually....

Shar said...

Sounds like a really fun week! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

We are at the beach doing the same thing - no fire though-
Just finished off a big bowl of shrimp and grits for breakfast!

Keetha said...

It sounds like you and yours had a lovely Thanksgiving. :-) Ours was really, really nice. Now the tree is trimmed and the stockings are hung!

Anonymous said...

It all sounds just perfect Kim Sue!
Just lovely.

Jill said...

This sounds like a wonderful way to spend Thanksgiving week.