Wednesday, July 1

may and june books

  • Night and Day by Robert B. Parker.....Quick, mystery read about Chief Jesse Stone trying to catch the Night Hawk. Serious brain numbing only for pure enjoyment easy summer reading. Don't expect deep insight, deep thought, or a need for a dictionary.
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith....."coming of age" story about Francie. A young girl who lives in immigrant filled Brooklyn, NY during the time of WWI. A story about her struggle against all odds to survive and thrive. It was an enlightening story of the struggles of families who are truly fighting for life not whether they deserve a new car or not.
  • Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver..... A Lincoln Rhyme murder mystery with as usual lots of crime scene problem solving going on. This book centered around a data collection company which is a REALLY scary concept all in itself!
  • Tell No One by Harlan Coben....I read this book a few years ago and loved it. I was in the library looking for an audio book. I saw it and decided to listen to it again. It is still one of the best triller/suspense books I have ever read. I remember reading it and not wanting to put it down. There were a couple times I pulled into the garage and didn't want to get out of the car because I wanted to keep listening!
  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett... Ragtag terrorists, an opera singer, Japanese tycoon, polyglot translator, and a variety of multinational party guest thrown into a mansion in an unnamed South American country. Patchett tells at the beginning what is going to happen but as the book moves along I don't want that to be the outcome so rather than rushing the story and wanting to see what will happen, I {like the characters} begin to want things to stay the same and to enjoy the here and now.
  • Long Lost by Harlan Coben.....This is another book in the Myron Bolitar series. Love me some Myron and his buddy Win. All by itself it is probably just an okay book but with all the history from previous books and all your connections to characters it makes it a much better book.
  • The Whole Truth by David Baldacci.....I continue to really like Baldacci. Somehow he makes it seem like he has more pages to invest in his characters and his plot and his conclusion than other mystery/thriller novelist. Most books I am wishing for another 100 pages because there just wasn't enough - enough background, enough bonding with characters, enough plot development and definitely not enough in the conclusion. I feel like I am a little more invested in Baldacci's books and that I get a little more quality entertainment. Reporter Katie James and mercenary Shaw collide when Shaw's finance is killed in a plan to send the world back into a Cold War,

3 comments:

Keetha said...

I loved Bel Canto. I kept thinking, too, that surely it wouldn't end that way.

I'm going to have to check out Tell No One - sounds intriguing!

Jill said...

Bel Canto is in my top 5 favorite books of all time. I loved the writing (except for one heinous sentence I thought was seriously unnecessary) and thought it was a totally unique concept.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.