Saturday, August 1

july reads

{I scored at Book Traders - my favorite used book store.
I took some books and I left with these for $21.00.
Now the question is what to read next!}
  • Bourne Deception by Eric Van Lustbader....another book in the Bourne series that was originally created by Robert Ludlum. I read the original 3 that the movies were based on but had not read the others written by Lustbader. I didn't enjoy it as much as the original ones. Unsure if that was because I missed 3 in the series, or because the author has changed, or if it was just the plot? Although I think most of it was because of the gaps I was missing because I missed 4,5 &6?
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Grueur.....Beautifully written love story mixed in with wonderful tales of a depression era circus. It flips back & forth between present day with Jacob in a nursing home and his dreams of his life and love.

  • Split Second by David Baldacci....Early story about Sean King, former Secret Service agent, as he gets dragged back into trying to solve the case that brought an end to his Secret Service days.

  • The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron.....I read some book review/discussions about this children's book and wanted to read it first hand. I really liked the book. It is a story about a little girl, Lucky, whose mother dies and is abandoned by her father. He now lives with her guardian in a small {population 43} desert town. It is a story about Lucky - her friendships, her love, her fears. The controversy is that the author uses the word "scrotum" when telling about a man being bit by a rattlesnake. Why? I'm thinking nothing would have been lost in the story if he had gotten bitten on his elbow.

  • Finger Lickin Fifteen by Janet Evanovich....I need to find more authors who make me laugh out loud when I am reading them or maybe this series is enough brain numbing trash for one person!

4 comments:

Natasha said...

I read water for Elephants earlier this summer and my MIL just loaned me The Shack. Are you on Goodreads?

Jill said...

We read Water for Elephants for book club awhile ago and weren't very happy with it. I don't remember much, but have a yucky image stuck in my that I wish I could forget.

Jill said...

P.S. The Book Thief and The Thirteenth Tale are two of my favorites!!

Keetha Broyles said...

Kim, how often do you go to Book Traders? Do they have books by old (1950's) authors?

I never get to such a place, and I'm always looking for books by D.E. Stevenson. I ADORE her books. If you see any, would you let me know and maybe we could work something out?