Wednesday, October 27

pumpkin guts

Picked Carly and Miss MM up from school for an afternoon of pumpkin carving. We tried 2 pumpkin stands which were both closed [there had been bad weather earlier in the day including a tornado warning]. We ended up at WalMart for the girls to choose their pumpkin canvas. This took much, much longer than anticipated. The only reason we made it home before midnight was because I started a countdown. There was a point when I realized that whatever I suggested was the exact opposite of what they were going to choose [case-in-point, Carly's pumpkin has NO stem and neither chose a tall pumpkin] so I decided to stand to the side and give the time countdown.

They emptied the utensil drawer out for the pumpkin gut removal. They tested most of the drawer trying to decide what the best tool for the job was including big spoons, little spoons, ice cream scoop, pasta server, and a little scraper that came with the pumpkin carver kit.

Pumpkin carving is a yearly activity that drives home how fast they are growing up. This year they were pretty much self-sufficient right down to lighting the candle although I suggested they were less likely to burn themselves if they put the candle in the pumpkin and then lit it rather than the other way around. Carly said "oh, good idea" like it was our first time to carve a pumpkin. I'll be lucky if I get to take pictures next year!

Mr. E (Miss MM's daddy) joined us. There was some discussion that I should be required to get a photo release before posting pictures on the blog. I'm pretty sure he gave me verbal approval to use this one, I think.

A good time was had by all, right down to the after carving lasagna dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job Girls...Love both of them. Mam-Mam

Jill said...

You're a good sport to go through the pumpkin carving. I'm not a fan of the smell or the mess, plus I have no skills. Fortunately Randy has all kinds of pumpkin carving skills, so the kids aren't deprived of this childhood tradition.