Friday, January 21

Five Minute Friday

START.

.
It snowed here yesterday afternoon and turned bitterly cold. School was cancelled. We were able to sleep in this morning. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for today. Carly was more than a little aggravated that this was on her snow day. I tried to explain to her that everything was not about her. I'm pretty sure at the age of 10 that she didn't get it.
.
Earlier this week, Carly and Kenny were getting ready for the first episode of this season's American Idol. There is a new judge. His name is Steven Tyler. Carly didn't know that name. Kenny told her he was the lead singer of Aerosmith. Nothing. So, Kenny began to belt out a few Aerosmith songs. Kenny has just enough singing ability and memory of song lyrics and plenty of confidence and even more extravertedness to pull this off. He sang "Walk this Way", "Sweet Emotion", "Dream On" maybe, and finally he hit pay dirt with "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing". Later Carly told me that Kenny use to sing that to her when he was tucking her in at night. Only Kenny chooses Aerosmith as a lullaby.
.
The next morning on the way to school was even more amusing. Carly and her friend Miss MM were in the back seat. They talked about a game on Carly's iTouch. They talked about a mutual friend's choice in uniform. They talked about Carly's upcoming birthday. They talked about American Idol. Carly asked Miss MM if she knew who Steven Tyler was. New Judge. Anything else? Nope. So Carly starts to explain to her. Aerosmith. Rock Band. Listened to a song on the iPod. They may not have been ready for the science test but they are definitely up on Steven Tyler.
.
STOP.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Love it!

Jill said...

If only we had Kenny's performance on video!

Mandy said...

Haha!

That sounds about like me when I was teaching 1st grade...I nearly fell off the edge one year over a group of kids who had NEVER HEARD OF The Beetles OR Elvis!!!!!

Needless to say, I did a lot of SINGING and dancing (that you could only get away with in 1st grade, I would have been a laughing stock anywhere else).

Kenny is right, musical education is VERY important! (& Owen didn't know who Steven Tyler was either...I let Aaron take that one, ha).

Anonymous said...

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, I LIKE THE NEW JUDGES...SEASON WILL BE INTERESTING...I HOPE YOU SANG ALONG WITH KENNY..WOULD HAVE MADE A GREAT DUO..I SAY CARLY IS GETTING A WELL ROUNDED EDUCATION. I KNOW A LOT OF WORDS TO SONGS, BUT TONE DEAF!!! NONNA

libba said...

hilarious! does this make us old?!

Melinda said...

This is so funny! I think my kids know Aerosmith because of rock band and I actually know some songs.

Thank you for the journal! It such a treat to get in the mail. Thanks!!