Monday, August 6

Side Trip

On my "in the near future" to-do list is to stay at The Alluvian in Greenwood (http://www.thealluvian.com/),
eat a fabulous dinner at the resturant, visit the spa, and possibly take a cooking class at the Viking school. That could not be accomplished today. But, Carly and I did make a side-trip to downtown Greenwood to check out the area. I wanted to wander around with my camera and take pictures of the old buildings and beautiful churches. That was not on Carly's list. A compromise was a visit to TurnRow bookstore (http://www.turnrowbooks.com/). This has also been on my to do list. I have seen it written about in magazines and articles about visiting authors/artist. Not only do I love bookstores especially independent bookstores, but also that nostalgia of the Mississippi Delta. As we say frequently, "the Delta is a great place to be from." TurnRow Books was everything I expected it to be. A fabulous old, but restored building, shelves and shelves of books including lots of local authors, local art and photography, and a feeling of "come-on-in-and-stay-awhile". It even has a screened veranda, although it was much too hot to sit in a rocker and enjoy it today. In every corner, there was a comfy sofa, antique wing chair, or bench. I quite possibly could have spent the rest of the day there - curled up in an oversized chair with a stack of photography books. And although, Carly did enjoy herself for awhile(suprisingly,they had a nice children's section), she did not intend to spend all day there. I can already invision the next time.

post note....while there I found something to add to my Christmas list (hint, hint)

Mississippi by Ken Murphy,

an awesome book of photography - just in case anyone was looking for that special gift :)

2 comments:

Keetha said...

I work just a couple of blocks from there - I wish I'd known you were in town, I would love to see you! Isn't Turnrow just the bomb! Love that place.

Doodle Bugs said...

pretty cool! I have been to the MS gift co several times in the last year and never went into turnrow.. how strange is that? did you go in the children's clothing store across the street?