Friday, September 21

Mental Health Day

I woke yesterday morning with a blinding headache but I was determined to get into the morning routine and move on. There was just too much on the day's plate to slow down for a pesky headache. (You know what I mean.) I also figured Advil, water to hydrate, breakfast and a chaser of Sonic Diet Coke and I would be a new woman. I did all the morning routines lunches, snacks, backpacks, breakfasts, review spelling words, get darling child dressed, get me dressed, etc. I packed her in the truck with her dad so that I can go to my doctor's appointment (head still screaming at me). ... I make way to the doctor (which takes a crazy 45 minutes) to find out they don't stock my shot in the office anymore that the new policy is to write me a prescription and I bring it with me to the appointment. An okay policy if you know this BEFORE you show up for said appointment. Add to that the fact that Thursday is the doctor's day off (the very reason they schedule my shot appointment on Thursday) and I leave without a shot or the prescription. The nurse wanted me to "run back by" on Friday and pick up the prescription and then make another appointment. Mind you that the doctor's office is not a place I can just run by - remember the 45 minutes. She finally said she would call it in to my local pharmacy and then I could make another appointment. Does she have any concept of how crazy life is? My head is hurting and I feel achy (all I can think is "I think I am getting the flu"). If this lady knew this she would probably be running for her life. BUT I remained calm and left. 30 minutes across Memphis to work, 2 more Advil, Sonic Diet Coke, and good music...I still fell crappy. ... My 9:30 appointment arrives with his dad. Dad looks like I feel. He is having a really bad time and in the middle of the grieving process after his son was recently diagnosed with autism. This I sympathize with BUT there was really no reason to yell at me. I guess, I looked like a good target. And honestly he was not yelling AT me, he was yelling and I happened to be the listener. Again I remained calm, but that was the last straw for today. I had rearranged the rest of my day because I was suppose to go to a fun ladies luncheon benefiting Palmer Home for Children, but I just couldn't handle it. At this point I felt so bad that I felt nauseous. ... I called my husband, almost in tears, and told him that I had as much as I could handle for today and was going home. He was supportive and said all the right things (I'm sure he was thinking on his feet so this crazy woman would get off the phone before she starts crying hysterically). He basically told me to go home and be a bum, to let all the "stuff" go, that there was nothing that was life or death, it would all be okay for another afternoon. This is tough for me to do even when feeling so crappy (walk past the dirty clothes basket, ignore the dishes in the sink, forget about the unmade beds I left this morning) but I did! ... What do you do when you have an afternoon to yourself that you have given over to resting/relaxing in hopes that you will feel better? This is what I did: Got a magazine, book, Ipod and climbed in the hammock. Read a little and napped. Woke, read a little more and went in side. Climbed in the comfy chair with soft blanket and chose a show from DiVo and napped. Woke, read some more, wrote in my journal, wrote a thank you note and was getting ready to go pick up Carly from school. Kenny called and said he would go pick her up and for me to rest some more (who would say no to that?). I took another magazine, book, and Ipod back out to the hammock and napped some more. Woke to Carly leaning over the hammock to give me a kiss. I hung out on the hammock some more, did Suduku and then took a long hot bath. ... I felt 110% better - diagnosis exhaustion, prescription rest.

3 comments:

Natasha said...

Oh, I've been there! Glad you are feeling better! Everyone needs a break now and then, esp us moms!

Anonymous said...

slow down...to to many irons in the fire sweetie...love you! Mama

Keetha said...

Oh dear, sounds like a rough day! The hammock, books, bath, family, rest...sounds like a good cure.