Monday, October 1

september readings

I read one time that 40% of the households in the U.S. did not buy a single book that year. Gasp! I can't imagine. I read that several years ago and I would like to think that statistic has changed for the better, but I am a little scared that the number might be higher!
Quickly, a list of what I have been reading this month.
  • Deal Breaker by Harlan Coben - love Myron Bolitar who is the main character and love even more his best friend Win. This is the first one in the series if you want to get in on the ground floor. He also wrote Tell No One which is an excellent suspenseful read.

  • The Alibi Man by Tami Hoag - not bad, fast reading, but fairly predictable.

  • Dry Ice by Stephen White - first time reader of this author. It was a pretty good read too.

  • Honey for the Woman's Soul by Gladys Hunt - my birthday present from my BIL and SIL. It's a book about books. So far, I have read parts and skimmed all the lists in the book. A couple years ago they gave me Honey for the Child's Heart and I love it. I have written all in it and used it to make good book choices for my child as well as to buy presents for other. I look forward to reading this again and again.

  • At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon - another stretch for me but I am trying to broaden my horizons. I enjoyed it.

  • And drumroll please....my recommendation for the month is Twighlight by Stephanie Mayer
  • Have you read it? If not you should. And if you don't fall head-over-hills in love with Edward, you just dont have a romantic bone in your body! I was very skeptical at first. Who wouldn't be with a description like "a vampire romance" which is what I read on someone else's blog. I don't much like vampires. But I kept seeing it recommended and there was a huge display at Davis Kidd Bookstore. It was fabulous. The second book in the series is called New Moon and I am showing great restraint not to dive into it today, BUT I am saving it for next week when I am at the beach. I can't think of anything better than a good book, blue skies, and the sound of waves. I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Keetha said...

I was in a bookstore last week and I picked up Twilight and put it down three times! It's not my typical read but the cover = cool! And it sounded really good. Since you've given it your seal of approval, I should check it out.

I loved At Home in Mitford and all those books. It's a sweet escape to this lovely little town.

Have you read any of Carolyn Haines' mysteries set in the Delta? I finished her newest, Ham Bones, last night.