Monday, November 12

She makes me smile too...(by Daddy)

Every fall, hordes of people spend enormous amounts of money for hunting leases, camo clothing, all terrain vehicles, weapons, ammunition, elaborate stands and enclosures, odor elimination sprays, multiple types of game calls and various synthetic animal urines (some real ones too!) all for the purposes of harvesting the elusive whitetail deer. I've even heard that venison has been referred to as the most expensive meat per pound of any meat in the entire world. Having thought of what I've spent already this year, I totally agree. After investing an amount of money over the years equal to the cost of a quaint, Italian cottage in Tuscany, I have finally realized the benefit!

That's right! My little hunting buddy just harvested her first whitetail deer! It was the exact moment captured in the above picture that I realized, "It's all worth it." I was absolutely overcome with excitement, pride, love and a satisfying sense of accomplishment. We live through our children, and I WAS ALIVE!
There are many "traditions" associated with deer hunting that I've seen and heard about over the years. Most (I repeat "most" - not all) of them I have participated in in some form or fashion. When I was a young hunter, most of my shirts didn't have a shirttail. If that last sentence confused you, consult an avid deer hunter. It was explained to me many years ago when I was but a child myself that the Native Americans honored the spirit of the large game animals that they harvested. Such displays included painting the hunter's face with the blood of the animal. I, with much protest, received the "Indian Stripes" when I harvested my first deer, and my daughter did too. She was way bigger about that whole deal than I was when I was a kid! Her doe was a monster. It weighed in at just over 150 pounds! She made a great 60-yard shot on the deer, and she did it ALL by herself. I only set the gun up on the ledge of the shooting blind and let her take over. She whispered that she was ready to shoot, and all I said was, "take your time and squeeze." Her "brand new" little .243 rifle (thanks, Nona) roared, and the rest, well, is history. And what a great history it is. Man she makes me smile!

6 comments:

Doodle Bugs said...

YEA for Carly!!! That smile on her face is worth a million bucks!! I managed to skip the Indian stripes and shirt cutting myself... she was brave to get the stripes. That would freak my out now!

Doodle Bugs said...

Oh and I forgot to tell you that Uncle Rocky is proud too and said you can go with him anytime :o)

Anonymous said...

I'M SO PROUD I WAS PART OF THIS HISTORIC EVENT...YOU GO GIRL..
I'M PROUD OF YOUR DAD FOR BEING SUCH A BIG PART OF YOUR LIFE..YOU 2 MAKE A FINE HUNTING DUO..
NONNA

Anonymous said...

What a Wonderful hunt.Lost for words.Thats just my Grandaughter.What other way would she have done it.Did a good job dad. Love G'dad and MamMam

Anonymous said...

Kim Sue - I can't believe how brave YOU are for letting her do it!!
Awesome for Carly. What a hunt at such a young age!

Anonymous said...

Unk and To-To are very proud! Great job Carly. We can't wait to hear all about it at Thanksgiving--or will you skip Thanksgiving and go hunting? Carly, I've told you girls can do anything they want to do! Love you,
Unk and T0-To