Tuesday, April 8

Bolzano, Italy

Love, Love, Love this sweet little Italian town with an idenity crisis. Bolzano is in northern Italy close to the Austria border. An area with border and citizenship issues following WWII. So now it is an Italian town with a heavy German influence. It is nestled in a valley in the lower alps and has a definite alpine feel. I kept waiting for someone to break out in "the hills are alive......."
.....
{Photo taken from the train on our way to Bolzano.
There was a dramatic scenery change. Alpine inspired villages surrounded by beautiful snow-covered mountains. Bolzano was a day adventure while we stayed in Verona, so we only had a few hours. Not nearly enough time!}
......

{duomo in Bolzano had an alpine look}

.....

{windows full of pastries and chocolate}

.....

{Bolzano's main mode of transporation}

.....

{a wonderful little street market where my sweet hubby bought me a beautiful orange Gerber daisy - my favorite}

{probably my favorite picture of Kenny & I -

enjoying a beautiful day in Bolzano, Italy}

.....

Oh, and we did see "Otzi" -the Ice Man, the 5300 year old body found in the mountains in the Italian/Austrian border in 1991. It was amazing how well preserved all the findings were from his body, to his gear, to his clothes. I mean, they found pollen on his clothes so were able to determine where he had been before his death and in what time of the year!

The guidebook said Otzi was the only site that merited your time, but I have to argue that Bolzano itself was worth more time than we had.

2 comments:

Jill said...

How romantic that Kenny bought you a gerbera daisy in Italy! Oh la la.

These pictures are beautiful. I want to live someplace with outdoor flower markets and pastry shops!

Unknown said...

i think the day trips into smaller cities would be up there on top of my favorites' list!