Friday, April 18

my first time

Kenny had bought some reduced priced veal chops at the grocery and we needed a plan for cooking them. I decided that it would be fun to get a bottle (or two) of wine and for Kenny & I to make ravioli (for the first time) to go with them. After making an ingredient list and going grocery shopping, I was on my way home after picking Carly up from school and Kenny called to tell me that his mother was coming for dinner and to spend the night with us. His mother, the gourmet Italian cook, was coming in a couple of hours!!
Okay, deep breaths, we could just go out and have Mexican food. Oh wait Kenny already told her that we were having veal chops for dinner. Okay, new plan, we could have rice or potatoes with the veal chops. Because right about now, the very LAST thing I want to try to make for the first time is ravioli (for the gourmet Italian cook). Oh yeah, no time to go back to the grocery.
$#*@, fine let's just do it, what is the worst thing that could happen. Right, don't go there, because there is a huge list of how bad this could go.
.....
Step #1 pour a glass of wine and go take a bath - I know there is no time for this but I promise it is much needed.
.....
Step #2 make the tomato relish that tops the veal - simple enough, build up a little confidence, drink another glass of wine.
.....
Step #3 make the ravioli stuffing - recipe by Giada (you know Everyday Italian) and only has 4 ingredients, haven't even broken my 5 ingredient rule yet
.....
Step #4 prepare to stuff the ravioli. I just got started when my MIL arrived. She was really excited that we were not only cooking (yes, I do have a reputation) but that we were making ravioli. I'm glad someone was excited about this. Then it hits me, she knows how to do this, put this woman to work - use her!
.....
Step #5 make Celeste a cocktail and put her to work and take notes, boy this is getting easier and easier. Open another bottle of wine.
.....

{Celeste and Carly stuffing ravioli}

Dinner was fabulous.

Veal Chops with 2-tomato Relish

Spinach & Cheese Ravioli

Grilled Asparagus

Here is Giada's recipe for ravioli stuffing: Whisk together 15oz ricotta cheese, 10oz package chopped spinach(thawed & squeezed dry), 2 large egg yolks, salt & pepper

12 comments:

Linda said...

I've always heard that you should include your guests with the meal preparation...makes them feel useful...and look how it helped with the stress factor. Brilliant!!

Looks like it turned out to be a great evening!

Jill said...

I'm glad you didn't chicken out and scrap your great dinner plans, what a great night this turned out to be! Also, how cool is it to have that photo of Carly and Celeste?

Laurie said...

Sounds delicious. It all worked out!

Natasha said...

Wow, I want dinner at your house!

I love this post - the step-by-step and all.

Unknown said...

THE MEAL WAS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. K-S NEEDED NO HELP AND HAD ALREADY DONE MOST OF THE WORK..IT WAS A GREAT MEAL. BTY, SHE IS MY HERO. THE ONLY ONE OF "MY KIDS THAT" HAVE EVEN ATTEMPTED SUCH A MEAL. SHE MOVED TO THE TOP OF THE LIST. GOT HUGS & KISSES AND A GREAT MEAL.
LIFE IS GOOD..
MIL

Shar said...

I'm so glad that it was a success. It sounds delicious. Maybe if I'm feeling ambitious this week, I'll make it for dinner!

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

How was the wine?? I love having a glass of red while I am cooking!

The meal sounds great and your MIL left a comment! How sweet is that!

Keetha said...

How fun! I would have been a bit apprehensive attempting that, too, but it sounds like it worked out just wonderfully!

Thanks for sharing the Giada recipe, too.

Heather said...

Okay, first you show all the wonderful photos of your Italy trip...causing my husband to keep asking if there were any more photos to be posted(he's Italian) and now you go and post about this delish meal(that he is sure to be drooling over, remember he is Italian) and to top it all off you had a glass of wine and a bath at the same time!???! My eyes are seriously turning green. It sounds like you had wonderful night and I really like the pic of your daughter and Grandma cooking together.
Thanks for the recipe.

Unknown said...

i don't think i've ever had veal, so i would have stumbled over how to prepare it. the rest of the meal (and the step by step, sip by sip instructions) sound wonderful!!

Alisa said...

This sounds so yummy-
How awesome to have the photos that you have of this night.
I love what your mother-in-law wrote too.

Amy said...

I have never had or made veal, so you get bravery points from me just for that! And I so loved your #1. First things first. I would have definitely done the same! But my favorite would have to be the comment from your mother-in-law. So, so sweet - she loves you!