Friday, April 4

Venice, Italy

"I'd rather be in Venice on a rainy day
than in any other capital
on a fine one"
Medville 1857
.....
which seemed rather fitting
as we entered San Marco square
for the first time with a misting rain
.....
I was really excited about going to Venice
and I was not disappointed
although it is much different than anywhere
else we have been in Italy.
Probably more accurate is
that it is unlike anywhere else on Earth -
literally a city in water.
.....
{Some of the best canal views
were from the top of the Rialto Bridge.
.....

There were boats everywhere from the vaporetto (city bus), to water taxis, food delivery, mail delivery, police, ambulance, gondolas and so on. Remember there are NO cars in Venice not even bicycles. If you don't ride in a boat, you walk.}

{Across the Rialto Bridge was the produce and fish market. Markets are one of the places we love in Italy. Venice's food market was no exception. It was such a vibrant, local experience. Booth after booth of beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables. The fish merchants were so interesting. Colorful tables with magnificent spreads with such variety.}

{we went to the top of the Campanile (bell tower) and were surprised by the breath taking 360 degree view of ALL of Venice. I love the rich colors and how domes and bell towers punctuate the skyline}

{From the balcony of St. Mark's cathedral which was amazing.

On the left is Doge's palace. It is an awesome building.

I could have stayed in San Marco square with my camera all day.}

{Gondola ride, check,

because how can you go to Venice and not?

An evening ride was might pricey

but it was worth it and I am so glad we did it}

{"cin cin" (cheers) from the whole gang

because you know what the saying is

"there is no bad wine in Italy"

Next stop....Verona.

9 comments:

Amy said...

I so love seeing Italy through your eyes. Fabulous pictures!

Amy said...

p.s. I'm embarrassingly late in sending a *thank you* for the Very Good Mail you sent my way a few weeks back. The note will come, but I wanted to let you know I'm glad to have been introduced to you & your blog.

Linda said...

Beautiful pictures!

We have a picture of us standing in the exact same spot as you on the balcony of St. Mark's Cathedral! We were only in Venice for one day...not enough time...but I loved it.

Jill said...

How did Venice smell? Was it stinky? It's so hard to imagine living in city on the water like that.

Kim Sue said...

Linda, We were in Venice for 2 days and that was not enough. There was SO much I wanted to see.

Jill, it did smell at times. They have serious trash issues. Kenny said Venice reminded him of New Orleans.

Anonymous said...

Seeing you in Venice on the balcony of St.Mark's, I see how wonderful the trip was for you. I'm so glad you got to go...hope you have many more good trips and times in Italy. Love, Mama

Natasha said...

Too funny about the Venice/New Orleans comment. Every time we go downtown to get beignets, Griffin takes a deep breath and asks, "Who pooed in 'they' diaper?"

I am loving all of these trip pics, so many photo ops.

Unknown said...

totally breathtaking!! the photo of you on top of St. Mark's is awesome!

amy gretchen said...

This is my next trip to Europe. I'm dying to see Venice.

You have seen a ton on your trip to Italian. Well done.