Friday, August 8

movie matinee

Carly and I are taking a couple of days to "ready" ourselves for school starting- haircut, uniform shopping, guitar purchase, clean out the closet, and...... going to a movie. We had been "saving" Kit Kittredge for our back-to-school days.

But obviously we waited too long because it was not showing on our local theater anymore. So, once again we drove into Memphis (just ignore the fact that gas is $4 a gallon).

Between the limited options and choosing the closest theater, we ended up at Ridgeway Four. Yep, a theater with only 4 screens. It was built in the 70's and was THE PLACE. It was modern and swanky...then.

Carly was really funny. She said "It looks like MamMam's movie" which is probably true although I haven't been there in many years). But I think the kicker is that neither has stadium seating. When we sat down, she said "I hope no one sits in front of me because I won't be able to see".

There were 15 people in the theater. 6 groups of people, each with a little girl about Carly's age, and I was the only mother. Obviously it is where grandmothers bring their children to the movie. Kind of sweet!

The movie was really good. Carly said she liked Kit because she was "intellectual", what? I don't think I have ever heard her use that word before. It also sparked a lot of conversation. I hope they make others about the other dolls, what a great way to bring history to life.

6 comments:

patsy said...

we havn't seen it yet for some of the same reasons-- it may have to be a netflix movie now!!
darn it

Anonymous said...

Abby and I saw it. Our theater was full of girls and moms and grandmas. Alot of them brought their American Girl dolls with them. I really liked the movie.

Thanks so much for your sweet card. Let's be friends!

Natasha said...

We missed it but I have heard such great things that I know we'll rent it! How fun to have a date amidst all the back to school to-dos!

Natasha said...

PS - Luci already is back at school - I can't believe it came so quickly!!

Doodle Bugs said...

Fun day! Did she take Julie?

Jill said...

Whitney and I really liked the movie. I hope they make more too.