Friday, September 19

to be a reader I feel awfully illiterate

Yesterday I was reading some blogs like Jill, Wendi, Laurie, Michelle and while I was there linked over to others and then to others
(ever have that happen to you?).
......
It was a post about books they had read from .......The Big Read a National Endowment for the Arts program designed to encourage community reading initiatives and of their top 100 books, they estimate the average adult has read only six.
......
Check out one of the above blog posts for the list of 100 books. I went through the list and decided I had read only 18 of the 100 - possibly 2 others when in high school/college but I figure if I can not remember for sure if I read it then I don't get to take credit for it. All I can say about that is at least I am above the national average (although well below the other bloggers noted above).
......
But, I got to thinking about another list. A list of books that for the past 8 years, I have spent a lot of time reading my way through (again and again and again). What about a list of the top 100 children's books?
......
This list came from National Education Association.
I highlighted in pink the ones that Carly and I have read together (70). I highlighted in dark blue the ones I have read myself but not with Carly yet (5 more).
......
For right now, I am going with this list. (even though I don't agree with all the books on the list) I like the results better.
The other list made me feel slightly illiterate.
......
  • Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
  • Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
  • The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
  • Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
  • Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
  • I Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch
  • Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
  • Oh! The Places You Will Go by Dr. Seuss
  • The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
  • The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
  • Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
  • Thank You Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco
  • The Cat In The Hat by Dr. Seuss
  • The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
  • The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate
  • DiCamillo The Mitten by Jan Brett
  • Crunching Carrots, Not Candy by Judy Slack
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willlems
  • Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
  • A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad
  • Day by Judith Viorst
  • Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
  • Corduroy by Don Freeman
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
  • Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
  • Tacky the Penquin by Helen Lester
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
  • The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
  • Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type Doreen Cronin
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
  • Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss
  • Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park
  • Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
  • The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
  • Piggie Pie by Margie Palatini
  • The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper
  • The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
  • The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
  • A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett
  • From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
  • Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
  • Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
  • Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathmann
  • Olivia by Ian Falconer
  • The BFG by Roald Dahl
  • The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
  • The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
  • Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel
  • A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • Bark, George by Jules Feiffer
  • Bunnicula by James Howe
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
  • Charlie the Caterpillar by Dom DeLuise
  • Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
  • Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
  • Frederick by Leo Lionni
  • Frindle by Andrew Clements
  • Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel
  • Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
  • Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen
  • Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
  • Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
  • I Love You, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt
  • Is Your Mama A Llama? by Deborah Guarino
  • Jan Brett’s books
  • Knots on a Counting Rope by Bill Martin Jr.
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
  • Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
  • My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
  • My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss
  • My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
  • No David! by David Shannon
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
  • Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch
  • Swimmy by Leo Lionni
  • The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
  • The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Warner
  • The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper
  • The Empty Pot by Demi
  • The Five Chinese Brothers by Claire Huchet Bishop
  • The Giver by Lois Lowr
  • The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle
  • The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown
  • The Last Holiday Concert by Andrew Clements
  • The Napping House by Audrey Wood
  • The Quiltmaker's Gift by Jeff Brumbeau
  • The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
  • The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack
  • The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka
  • Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt The Wide-Mouthed Frog:
  • A Pop-Up Book by Keith Faulkner
what about you?
have you read these books with your kids?

8 comments:

Melinda said...

I have read some of these books but I am so far behind it isn't funny. I need to read more, I love to read but just don't have the time. Good luck getting to them.

Mrs. McDaniel said...

oh Kim Sue~I think I love you! :) I am posting this list on my blog also~I only had 3 on the other list! :( so i'm not even the average adult! lol

Doodle Bugs said...

The last one (the wide mouth frog) is an old tale/fable (something like that) that has many versions.

I bet you have read this verson:
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Wide-mouthed-Frog-Martin-Larranaga/dp/0744594847/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221921905&sr=8-4

You have probably read Charlie the Caterpillar too. Its a small picture book.
http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Caterpillar-Aladdin-Picture-Books/dp/0671796070/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221922047&sr=8-1


And I can not believe that a Robert Munsch book made the list.. and I have not read it. WHAT??!

And about that other list.. I read other people's version and mine was sad, sad, sad... I had not even heard of some of them.

Kim Sue said...

I thought the same thing about the Munsch book because we have read a lot by him and I had never heard of that one. I mean there is vocabulary from some of his book that has made it into our home like "super indelible, never come off until after you die markers".

Natasha said...

Luci loved both Little Women and the Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe and read them herself.
I like your list better than the other one too!

Anonymous said...

I gotta agree. I like the children's list much better. What does that say about my mentality? I guess it says I'm busy with kid stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

I gotta get working on the adult list now.

Wendi said...

I have to agree too! This is a better list!!! =)

Lene said...

Oh I am so glad you posted this list. After reading the National Endowment of the Arts list I felt like I was really missing out. Then I remembered it was from the NEA and didn't feel so bad (does anyone remember Maplethorpe- he was supported by the NEA). But I faired much better on National Education Association list - whew. I am kind of ashamed to admit that I have never read Charlotte's Web. Crazy.