Monday, November 3

all american girl

Carly had been dropping hints and commenting that she would really like to go see Carrie Underwood. The ticker sign at the Civic Center had been running "Carrie Underwood, October 26" for weeks. Kenny had said "There is no way you can buy tickets now. It has probably been sold out for weeks."
.

On the pretense of going out to eat, we got dressed and went to a restaurant close to the Civic Center. Of course it was full and even the waitress asked if we were going to see Carrie Underwood. Kenny said "oh, that's tonight? No wonder it is so crowded in here".

She didn't know until we stopped to pay for parking. Kenny handed her the tickets and told her we were going. I think she was so stunned she didn't know what to say but she had a HUGE grin on her face.

We had fabulous seats. Probably the best seats I have ever had at a concert. I tried to explain to Carly not to expect seats like that if she ever got to go to another concert. I even pointed out the nose-bleed section that was packed full of people.

I'm glad there was an opening act because I think it took all that time and the lights coming back on for her to calm down. She told me on more than one occasion that she couldn't believe it! Kenny also took her to buy a T-shirt which she wore around for 2 days only taking it off to put her uniform on for school.

She told me later that she sang almost every song. I told her that she must have been singing some of them in her head. I think in her mind she was singing :) I did hear her singing "It's Just a Dream" and "All American Girl". She loved the jumbo screen that was right above us. It did make her appear larger than life.

When asked what she would remember about the night, she said "the whole thing!" I also asked her would she have rather seen Hannah Montana last year when we were not able to get tickets or Carrie Underwood. She said "oh, definitely Carrie Underwood".

13 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh wow! What a fun surprise to pull off. It sounds like a great night.

Nonnas News said...

What a wonderful surprise!!
she will never forget that night!!

Bren's Life said...

That is so Awesome of you guys to do that... What a great memory she will always have.

Melinda said...

That is soo awesome!! You guys are the coolest parents ever!

Liz said...

What a treat! I hope you both enjoyed it as much as she did!!!

Anonymous said...

Great Night for all...Cannot believe son-in-law didn't tell before the big night. Looks like you did have good seats. Love to all! Mam-Mam

Amy said...

So much fun! What nice parents you are. I just love pulling off surprises like that for Kaitlin--and she's only 4. I can't wait until she's a bit older.

Laurie said...

I love surprises like that! Carly will always have fun memories of that night.

Heather said...

You are the best parents! What a wonderful surprise.

Unknown said...

KUDOS TO YOU BOTH!!!!WAY TO GO. WISH I HAD BEEN THERE...CARLY IS A VERY LUCKY GIRL TO HAVE SUCH COOL PARENTS.

Jill said...

What a fantastic surprise! You guys are such fun parents. I've been on a Carrie Underwood kick lately and have been listening like crazy.

MaryRC said...

What a wonderful memory for all of you. I love surprises!

Anonymous said...

When she's older she'll probably remember the surprise just as much, if not more, than the concert!