Sunday, October 19

gotta start somewhere

Carly has been playing a little tennis the last couple of years. Mostly mini-camps learning fundamentals such as actually hitting the ball over the net.
.....
A couple of years ago, when she started I would toss her the ball and she would attempt to hit it over the net - forehand only. Slowly she (and I) have improved so we can actually hit a ball back and forth.
.....
This fall she started a (very) beginner Team Tennis league. Once a week, they have tennis practice and then on Sunday afternoons they will have match play. Today was the day for the first match play.
.....
I'm excited that she has this opportunity to learn the fundamentals, rules, scoring, etc of the game. She is one of two 8 year olds that were invited to play Team Tennis. The other kids are 10-14 year olds. But everyone is on the beginner level.
.....
The last couple of weeks have been spent learning how to serve. Which in my beginner tennis opinion, is not an easy skill. Carly has improved to about 60% accuracy. She probably has one of the best averages. Saying this lets you know that the match play is slightly amusing at times.
.....
But, everyone is having a good time and learning together.
Carly played 2 matches (3 games to 5 & 6 games to 2).
I hope I remember these first matches because I know like other sports she will continue to improve and I will forget the beginning.

9 comments:

Nonnas News said...

Your daughter is so cute! I bet she is going to enjoy tennis. I wish I had learnt that sport!

Congratulations to her for making the honor roll!

I know you are very proud of her!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so like I can I join their league? It may be the only group of people I could ever play with! Go Carly!

Bren's Life said...

What a well round girl. She likes all sports & it just so cute.. And what a good mom you are for supporting her through all this.

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

I remember those days. I tried out for the HS team and made it. Those were the best four years playing on the Tennis Team. I hope she sticks with it.

Love the soccer pictures too!

Unknown said...

60 % accuracy is better than i EVER got playing tennis. my roommate and i used to use the free tennis clinics at our apartment complex as a way to meet single guys. that never worked...

it sounds like a great way to learn the fundamentals of tennis, especially if you get to get out there and knock the ball around with her.

patsy said...

she's DARLING!
I always wished I would've learned to play tennis. how fun- I hope you can play together as she gets older.

Wendi said...

Okay, seriously. That is just so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

I've taken up tennis again after 20 years away from the game and I love it! It comes back fairly easily, although I don't remember being so sore when I was younger!

I'm thankful that my parents gave me lessons and paid for summer camps. Playing tennis in high school got me out of taking PE!!

Jill said...

I never officially learned how to play tennis. My experience was only in P.E. Classes in high school. I think it's great that Carly gets to do this.