Sunday, November 9

where in the world is belzoni?

A few years ago, U-Haul added lots of new trailers to its fleet. On these trailers were post cards of several different United States cities. At this moment I can not remember what the other cities are but one of them is
Belzoni, Mississippi.
.
Belzoni is the county seat of Humphreys County, Mississippi. Humphreys County with a population close to 10,000 is a rural, agricultural area. It has been known as the Catfish Capital, Heart of the Delta, the Most Southern Place on the Earth. It was a happening place when cotton was king, but not so much anymore. It is more often recognized as being either on the top of lists or the bottom depending on what the lists are measuring like the highest poverty level, lowest high school graduation rate, highest infant mortality rate, you get the picture.
.
I am from this county. I grew up in a small, more like tiny, town close to Belzoni. Population 200 and that is probably counting large family pets. My parents still live there. Some of the people I love the most are there. The people who shaped me are there. Some of the best teachers and role models are there. A wonderful way of life is there trying to hold out with many things working against it. I frequently say "it is a wonderful place to be from and it's nice to go back and visit."
.
It makes me chuckle that U-Haul chose Belzoni. It is a county sport to not only see the Belzoni U-hauls but get your picture taken with them across the country. The local paper is frequently printing pictures of Belzoni residents on vacation standing by a U-Hall with captions like "The Brown Family recently vacationed in Texas" or pictures of people connected to someone from Belzoni like "Sam Brown, uncle of Bill Brown, in Austin, Texas".
.
I wasn't able to actually get in the picture with the U-Haul but my caption could read: {Kim Sue, daughter of Slick & Kathy, gdaughter of Finn, sister to Kacey in Southaven, Mississippi}

14 comments:

Unknown said...

that is fascinating trivia. i love that peoples' photos are printed in the local papers, too.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I LOVE this post, Kim Sue. I'm so glad you captured your roots and shared it with us. So glad you had a place like Belzoni.

Anonymous said...

Right after I graduated from 'State and moved to Memphis, I met a friend of a friend who was from Belzoni and his accent was so southern that he pronounced it, "Behl-zohne" and you had to really listen for the "uh" at the end. He would nearly come undone when people called it Bell-zone-ee.

Now I have a craving for catfish.

Anonymous said...

This is home...where we are blessed to have life-long friends. Good job KS...Love to all, Mam-Mam

Shar said...

I love it. I love that there are pictures in the local paper! Although I'm not from one, I think small towns are the best!

The funny thing is, I've seen those U-Haul trailers and thought the exact same thing. "Where in the world is Belzoni?" And now I know.

calista said...

This is funny. I had no idea where it was, I wondered if it was even a real place. Like TMama now I have a craving for catfish.

patsy said...

great post!

Cecilia said...

Great post!
I love it.I love that there are pictures in the local paper! I think small towns are the best!

Lisa Melton said...

Hey Kim Sue!!! I have been meaning to comment sooner but I do check out your blog ever so often and I love it!! Carley is so pretty and getting so big. I can't get over how much she resembles you. Time really flies. I loved your comment on Belzoni and I too have lots of good memories there no doubt. We had fun growing up together there for sure. I hope you and your family are doing great. Tell your Mother hello for me. She has crossed my mind here lately because my son, Floyd, is in second grade and always asking me what my second grade year was like. How could I forget Mrs. Kathy Gilmer and Humphreys Academy?? Good times. Good times. Take Care and Keep in touch. Love, Lisa Trotter Melton

Natasha said...

Cool!

Doodle Bugs said...

You gotta love Belzoni- it has its advantages for sure :o)

Rhonda said...

Oh, oh, oh, now I can actually say to my husband, (who, btw knows where everywhere IS), do YOU know where BOLZONI is? Then, I will smile smugly and say... "Well, Hon... I DO!"

(((smiles)))

Melinda said...

I have to say that I have never heard of belzoni. This was fun to read and get a little history of you!

Robyn said...

It's so funny you got a photo of this Uhaul. How perfect. I loved reading this post, I was so interested to hear about it and then to find out you're from a town near there. I liked tater mama's story too.