Saturday, April 12

last stops

Sirmione....we made a detour to this beautiful little lake town located on Lake Garda. A place where Italians vacation. A sweet village full of shops and a castle too. I had bruschetta for lunch and snagged mom her empty wine bottle for her bottle tree.

.....

Castello di Tagliolo....another road trip this one to check out a winery in a castle perched on the side of a hill. 500 years of wine making in that castle. We tasted some red, and some white, and some dessert wine. It was a neat place and glad we got off the beaten path.
.....

Genoa....Maurizio took us on a day trip to his home town. We shopped in the street market picking up scarves, ties, cashmere. We made a stop at a local jewelry shop and I bought my "mighty fine Italian purchase" - a new watch. I love seeing it and thinking about being in Italy. We initially had a difficult time finding a restaurant for lunch because it was Monday and that is a common day off in Italy. But, I think it was meant to be because we found a restaurant on the sea that was full of locals. We ate a delicious lunch of pasta with shrimp.
.....

Our afternoon in Genoa was perfect. We walked along the waterfront and into "old" Genoa (12 to 14th century) in Christopher Columbus's old neighborhood. There were lots of little shops to browse in, old buildings to check out and some of the best gellato of the whole trip.

.....

Turin.....a trip to Turin was a last minute decision. (location of the 2006 Winter Olympics) Our main destination was the Egyptian Museum. We were amazed at how much Egyptian history was tucked away in Turin, Italy. It is the largest museum of Egyptian artifacts outside of Cairo.

.....

We also did some shopping in another outdoor market. I bought a couple pieces of stoneware. I love pottery! As usual, I wish I had bought more. There were beautiful stands with flowers, meats, and this fabulous table of cheese. We had a piece made from sheep milk. It was so strong and so good. Kenny didn't love it.

7 comments:

Natasha said...

Everytime I read these Italy posts, I keep thinking how this was such a trip of a lifetime for you and that I can't wait to go to Europe one day.

That cheese looks heavenly!

Jill said...

You guys packed so much into this trip, I'm impressed. Your photos have all been so beautiful, I'm itching to travel too!

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

I have so enjoyed looking at all of your pictures from your trip! You guys looked like you had a fantastic time!!

Thanks for your kind words over at my blog!

Unknown said...

i look at this cheese display, and then i thnk of the tiny, cellophane wrapped junk at my supermarket. ahhhhh!

amy gretchen said...

wow what a trip! I'm so jealous, I want to go back. Real Italian food sounds so good right now and the scenery...well let's just say I'm surprised you came back. :)

Laurie said...

How lucky! Sounds like a great trip. I love the photos -- especially of the gelato! Time to go back....

Melinda said...

Those pictures are amazing! It is making me really want to leave this place and get on a plane!