Sunday, September 14

something I've always wanted

For years when we go to the Germantown Festival, I have admired a man who does chalk portraits. I have watched many kids sit in his chair and him work his little magic. I love the colorful, abstract results. I have mentioned in years past that I would like to have Carly's done "one day". This year, I found myself in front of his booth watching again.
.....
......
Carly came over to me and said, "I will do it for your birthday if you want me to". Her and Kenny had talked about it and decided it would be a wonderful birthday present.
We had to make an appointment for later in the day.
......

Carly did very good - sitting for an hour while he did his magic. You can barely see her knee in the left corner of the booth. The artist asked us to stay out of her line of sight so that her eyes would stay on him.

When my mom asked Carly what she had given me for my birthday. Carly told her "I sat in a chair for an hour" :o)

I LOVE IT! I love that there are little pieces of her personality coming through. I love her bright green eyes. I love her strong jaw line. I love that the corner of her lips are slightly turned up like she knew she wasn't suppose to smile but she was happy underneath. I love that along the hairline are little wisps of blond highlights. It is beautiful and I can't wait to get it framed and hung up in the house!

Thank you Kenny and Carly. It is perfect!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome birthday present! I LOVE things like that. He did an amazing job! She's gorgeous!

mam-mam said...

It is a perfect birthday present...I see both my child and grandchild in it. Love to both of you...

Linda said...

Gorgeous...what a beautiful beautiful gift!

Unknown said...

it's fantastic!

Doodle Bugs said...

IT looks great! I can't wait to really see it!

Jill said...

Wow, what a great birthday gift! This is such a cool thing to have. I think Carly will end up being very glad she sat that whole hour for this!

Nonnas News said...

What a wonderful gift!! I'm glad you had such a great birthday!!

Robyn said...

Oh wow, I love this portrait! What a great birthday gift, especially since you've been wanting it for a while. I hope Carly knows how precious that is to you! What a sweet girl :-)

Heather said...

That is such a beautiful gift, one you are sure to treasure always.

Mandy said...

WOW!!!
That is an AWESOME Gift!!!
I love it too!!
Is this Germantown Festival as in Memphis? I'm totally going to check it out next year if it is!!

Melinda said...

That is so awesome. It is such a beautiful portrait!
Jason really wants to get an oil painting of the family in 2 yrs. He thinks that is the perfect age of all the kids. Who knew?

patsy said...

Oh my goodness! that is amazing & beautiful- what a great bithday present... lucky, lucky you :)
I hope when you get it framed & hung you show us a picture.

Michelle Alley said...

Wow! What an awesome birthday gift. It is beautiful!

Bridget said...

It us amazing! What a great gift! Carly is such a beautiful young girl. So glad you had a nice bday. Take care!

Cecilia said...

Gorgeous! That's a great birthday gift!

Lene said...

What an amazing birthday gift. Well worth an hour of Carly's time!

Anonymous said...

yea! i love it! can't wait to see it framed and hung. i agree...that was mighty special of carly to want to sit for you!
glad you had a great day.
lib

Liz said...

What a treasure!

sweetfunkyvintage said...

So beautiful!
missy

Natasha said...

I have always thought that gifts of time are some of the best, and this gift from Carly is the perfect example!!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

WHAT A GIFT!